Position Title: Medical Receptionist
Reports to: CEO
Responsible To: Directors & Ophthalmologist
- Medical terminology, computer knowledge, accounting skills, general office procedures
- Skilled in effective methods of communication, interpersonal relationships and public relations.
- To be able to demonstrate a high level of motivation in the achievement of set objectives in a supervised and unsupervised environment.
- To have the ability to accept and implement changes, when necessary.
- To be punctual and reliable and keep absenteeism minimal.
Mode of Dress:
- Well groomed dressed in uniform, presenting a professional image, adhere to the facilities policy and procedures relating to body piercing and tattooing and identified by name badge.
Award: The Eye Hospital Administrative Employee Collective Agreement 2008
Level: Level 1 – 10
Hours of Work: 40 hrs per week/or as per employment contract
- Ability to communicate with patients, co-workers and medical staff.
- A willingness to participate in compulsory and non elective on going education activities.
- A willingness to participate in the quality assurance programs conducted throughout the Centre
- To demonstrate tolerance, patience and empathy with all patients and their needs regardless of age, sex or race.
- Responsible for taking bookings of appointments from patients and referring practitioners.
- Responsible for greeting and assisting patients upon their arrival at the Centre.
- Responsible for answering the telephone and referring inquiries to the appropriate person.
- Responsible for computerising patient information and preparing files.
- Responsible for assisting with the overall co-ordination, documentation and implementation of Information Management.
- Responsible for billing and banking of facility funds.
- Update patient records to ensure all demographic details, referral and financial documentation, health fund, pension and Medicare details are correct and current.
- Print list of patients for consultations or surgery for following day.
- Responsible for accurate scanning of correspondence & day surgery files to patients computer file.
- Ensure the daily banking and cash draw is correct.
- Ensure miscellaneous office requirements and stationary levels are maintained by reporting requirements to appropriate personnel.
- Post mail daily.
- Collect mail from the letterbox located at the front of the building. Receipt all mail, sort and give out to the various staff and Ophthalmologist or CEO.
- Receipt all payments.
- Review correspondence received via internet and fax and distribute to the appropriate person and/or department.
- Inform patients by letter, phone call or SMS if any appointment times are changed.
- Identify all patients that did not attend appointments and take appropriate action.
- For day surgery patients complete and compile a medical record for the patient’s admission.
- Admit the patient as per protocol in the Office policy and procedure manual
- Organise refreshments for patients after surgery.
- Discharge patient as per protocol in the Office policy and procedure manual.
- Participate in relevant committee meetings to share problems and provide solutions.
- To comply with all the policy and procedure manuals at The Eye Hospital
- To participate in Infection Control programs conducted throughout the Centre and be very aware of all Infection Control policies and procedures.
- Cooperate with the staff in efforts to comply with Occupational Health & Safety requirements.
- Attend all Occupational Health and Safety training programs as specified.
- Ensure accurate reporting of all accidents and incidents to Safety Officer.
- Attend all compulsory and when possible non compulsory in-service education sessions and staff meetings.
- Participate in Quality Activity programs and Global Mark accreditation programs.
- Maintain strict confidentiality in relation to all matters pertaining to the organisation’s activities and objectives.
- Failure to observe this requirement may be regarded as misconduct and will be dealt with according to the employee confidentiality agreement.
- A formal performance appraisal shall be completed with the CEO or delegate after three months employment and annually thereafter.